Thursday, October 20, 2011

Step 2 - Transfer sketch to the Canvas

This can be done several ways freehand, tracing or with a light projector. I always do my transfer by hand this is because I want to preserve the spontaneous feel to the drawing. Some of this is slightly lost with drawing it for a second time but the gestural lines are what I like to leave in and repeat to a degree when I reach the scribbling with paint step later on.
At this point you need to make sure you are happy with the overall design as it is on the canvas and make any changes you need to before you hit "Step 3"
In this case I changed my mind about the actual time shown on the clock and made it just before 6:15 this way the arrows on the hands pointed into the painting and not out of the painting

Step 3 - Clear coat the lines

With a liquid matte medium brush gently over your pencil lines to make them permanent. Graphite and charcoal will dissolve into the paint but with a light coat of medium you will keep your pencil marks there until you are ready to loose them. If you are concerned about the marks showing through, which I am not, you should use a 4H pencil so that the marks can be overpowered by your paint easily.
The shadow like marks you see around some of the drawings is from using a 6B pencil in those areas and rubbing the medium into the graphite until it starts to dissolve out and leaves a shadow which I will use later.

No comments: